C++Builder is an advanced IDE for modern C++ with high-productivity libraries that help you deliver fast, native apps with great user experience for your customers. Utilize best-in-class Windows desktop UI libraries ready for Windows 11. Use powerful award-winning visual design tools and the modern Clang-enhanced compiler to rapidly prototype and publish high-performance Windows and iOS apps. Get blazing-fast compile times on multi-core hardware, easy access to popular libraries like Boost, build tools like CMake and Ninja, and leverage productive UI, networking, parsing and other libraries. Independent developers and enterprise development teams choose C++Builder’s advanced productivity to deliver projects 5x faster than competing solutions.
C++Builder 11 helps you:
- Create fast native apps for Windows, Mac and mobile from one codebase
- Build 64-bit Windows applications and parallelize existing code
- Bind any control to other objects or datasets with LiveBindings
- Get universal enterprise database connectivity with FireDAC
- Modernize Windows applications with new components and styles
- Extend Windows apps with mobile and wearable companion apps
- Access cloud-based BaaS and REST services
- Easily deploy stateless, restful, scalable, and secure turnkey middleware to mobilize Enterprise apps
- Get a fast start and fast results
Build Native Windows C++ and iOS Apps 10x Faster with Less Code
Powerful Windows Development
Design beautiful interfaces with industry-leading and cross-platform frameworks on Windows and iOS. These apps deliver an amazing experience that is custom-designed for each device to save you time efficiently.
- Modern C++17
Featuring a Clang-enhanced compiler, Dinkumware STL, and easy access to Boost, plus common libraries like SDL2, and many more.
- Windows 11
Modernize ageing apps to support Windows 11 with up-to-date responsive controls and Windows Store support.
- High DPI & 4K
High-DPI support in the IDE, with full support for the latest 4k+ monitors and cleaner and sharper fonts and icons. Improved FMX High-DPI support for Windows and Desktops with a visibly superior desktop UI.
- iOS Applications
Develop applications for iOS quickly and easily with C++Builder’s tools.
- Continuous Integration
Integrate with continuous build configurations quickly with MSBuild, CMake, and Ninja project support either as a lone developer or as part of a team.
VCL Styles with design-time support: Prototype stylish UIs even faster by seeing immediately at design-time how your styled forms and controls will look when running.
- Accessible Data
Connect natively to over 20 databases like Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL and more with FireDAC’s high-speed direct access.
- Cloud Aware
C++Builder has an HTTP and a REST client library, available on all platforms, to invoke REST services and even specific AWS and Azure components.
- Rapid Development
Award-winning visual design tools help you deliver projects 5x faster than competing solutions.
- Responsive UIs
Create a single responsive platform-aware UI once and deploy it on Windows and iOS.
- Remote Desktop
Collaborate more effectively with remote teams using improved remote desktop support for VCL and IDE.
- Version Control Integration
Track and manage changes using version control systems, including Subversion, Git, and Mercurial repositories.
- Extend the IDE
Use plugins that add new tool windows, draw in the code editor, provide code completion, add new syntax highlighting, hook into high-level and low-level events, track processes and threads while debugging, and more.
What’s new in RAD Studio 11 Alexandria?
Quality-Focused Release With New Tools and IDE Enhancements, Improved Usability, Performance and Stability
RAD Studio 11.2 includes support for the iOS Simulator platform on macOS ARM 64 for the Delphi language, migrates the Delphi Linux debugger to the LLDB technology, and adds some significant new features to the RAD Studio IDE, including Markdown support and a popular customer request to indicate inactive code in the code editor visually.
New features in version 11.2
DELPHI IOS SIMULATOR
RAD Studio 11.2 offers iOS Simulator support for the Delphi language, with the ability to generate iOS Simulator binaries for macOS devices running on ARM-64 (M1 or M2 CPUs). This enables developers to test their Delphi applications on different Apple devices and on multiple form factors using the iOS Simulator, without the need to buy the specific hardware.
SUPPORT FOR ANDROID API LEVEL 32
The IDE targets Android API Level 32 (up from API level 30 in 11.1), which Google Play will require in November 2022. The installer has also been updated to offer the Eclipse Temurin JDK 11, required by the latest Android SDK tools.
LLDB FOR DELPHI FOR LINUX
Delphi’s Linux toolchain previously used GDB for debugging. 11.2 switches to LLDB, which provides a strong quality improvement both in features and in Delphi language syntax support. LLDB has been upgraded to version 12 and adopted for the iOS Simulator, along with the existing use of LLDB for C++ Win64, and Delphi macOS, iOS, and Android 64 platforms.
RESTORING XSLT TRANSFORMS FOR HELP INSIGHT
Help Insight now uses a VCL-based HTML display control and generates the HTML by processing the XMLDoc data returned by the compiler with an XSL transformation, applying CSS styling for display. As in 10.3 and earlier versions, the XSLT and CSS files are customizable. This offers more readable details, in terms of formatting, and the ability for a user to change the content and layout.
INACTIVE CODE IN THE CODE EDITOR
It is common to have code that is conditionally compiled, for specific platforms or other reasons. The Delphi code editor will now show code that is inactive – not compiled due to undefined macros – differently to code that is active and will be compiled. In case of complex IFDEFs, this feature allows you to immediately spot the active code for the current platform and build configuration.
C++BUILDER CODE INSIGHT
RAD Studio 11.2 includes all of the enhancements already delivered in the special 11.1.5 C++ Code Insight update. Along with significant cquery improvements, the release offers the ability to better customize the LSP behaviour under the Tools Options dialogue, with the ability to restart the server when opening a new project, index only files in the editor or index all files in the project group.
ENHANCED EDITOR TABS
RAD Studio 11.2 adds some new features to editor tabs, including the ability to show in different colours the tab for files of different types (regular source code, files opened while debugging, configuration files, and so on). Custom colours can be turned off, such as for visual clarity reasons.
GETIT PACKAGE MANAGER
GetIt now allows you to filter by language (Delphi or C++). The new filter allows you to list only Delphi packages or only C++Builder packages, and it’s active if you are using RAD Studio.
WELCOME PAGE IMPROVEMENTS
We have restored the “New in GetIt” section in the Welcome page and improved the behaviour of the checkbox “Close Welcome screen when opening a new project”: the Welcome page is now restored when all projects are closed.
…AND MUCH MORE!
The 11.2 release also introduces many tooling, IDE and library improvements, including inactive code highlighting in the code editor, improvements to the Delphi, VCL, FireMonkey and FireDAC libraries, enhanced editor tabs, the C++Builder Code Insight update, and improvements to the Welcome Page.
Watch the What’s New in Delphi, C++Builder, and RAD Studio 11.2 Alexandria video (YouTube).
NEW FEATURES IN VERSION 11.1
IMPROVED IDE AND USER EXPERIENCE
RAD Studio 11.1 builds on the milestone innovations introduced in version 11 Alexandria of RAD Studio, Delphi, and C++Builder. The RAD Studio IDE is the primary focus of the 11.1 release, with the goal of further improving features introduced in recent versions.
RAD Studio 11.1 combines high-DPI support with improvements to remote desktop access for closer and more effective team collaboration. The high-DPI designers for VCL and FireMonkey and the styled VCL form designer have undergone improvements.
The GetIt Library Manager is enhanced with cached images and a reworked UI implementation. The Messages view now uses customized colours, while the new Welcome Page now offers background images, and supports custom frames with a new Open Tools API.
According to Embarcadero Product Manager Marco Cantù, “The RAD Studio 11.1 release improves the performance and stability of the great features in 11.0, starting with the new High-DPI enabled IDE. On top of this, it delivers official support to operating systems released after 11.0 shipped: Windows 11, macOS 12 Monterey, iOS 15, and Android 12!”
IMPROVED CODE INSIGHT
Code Insight for both languages, Delphi and C++, is now improved. The C++ implementation has improved significantly in quality and performance, while the Delphi LSP engine is also between 5 times and 30 times faster. Furthermore, when completing a declaration, type parameters are now visible.
MORE POWERFUL COMPILERS AND DEBUGGERS
The stability and performance of Delphi and C++ compilers are improved. The Delphi macOS 64-bit ARM and Android 64-bit debuggers are now based on the LLDB debugger architecture, as already used for the Delphi iOS 64-bit debugger. As a result, Delphi debuggers for supported platforms are unified on this technology as part of the continuous commitment to quality improvement.
Embarcadero Chief Developer Advocate and Engineer Jim McKeeth say he is “the kind of person who gets excited about new features and big changes, but I also understand that the biggest impact in my daily productivity comes from quality improvements and performance enhancements. RAD Studio 11.1 takes all the new and exciting features of my favourite development tools and adds the quality and performance that makes each day I use it a little better than the one before”.
RICHER RTL, UI AND DATABASE LIBRARIES
Optimizations and quality improvements have been introduced to the core Delphi RTL in the 11.1 Release. There is also a new TURLStream class, a TStream descendant with support for async operations. Support for Windows 11 and Server 2022 in the TOSVersion data structure. FireMonkey has added quality improvements to TListView, along with improved Android SDK integration, TWebBrowser, Windows HighDPI-related issues, and performance. FireDAC has added Structure View integration and offers support for MariaDB 10.6, SQLite Encryption Extension (SEE), and new data types for Firebird 4. RAD Studio 11.1 also improves DataSnap quality and adds the ability to deploy a WebBroker application on Android.
SUPERIOR INTEGRATION WITH AWS AND PYTHON
Since the 11 Alexandria release, Enterprise and Architect customers have gotten a preview of the new AWS SDK for Delphi (licensed from Appercept). Embarcadero also extends the reach of their Delphi UI libraries to Python developers with new free libraries and also improves the integration of Python libraries in RAD Studio applications.
With all these improvements to a landmark core release, Embarcadero General Manager Kyle Wheeler says the company is “excited to bring this release to market as a continuing focus on quality improvements that build on the major work done for version 11. 2022 is shaping up to be another great year for Embarcadero and RAD Studio and our amazing community”.
NEW FEATURES RAD STUDIO 11 ALEXANDRIA
- RAD Studio 11 adds high-DPI support to the IDE: This improves daily developer activities with full support for the latest 4k+ monitors, with cleaner, sharper fonts and icons, and high-resolution support throughout the IDE windows, including in the VCL and FMX form designers and code editor. You can now design your forms directly at multiple scales and in high resolution.
- VCL Styles add design-time support: Prototype stylish UIs even faster by seeing immediately at design-time how your styled forms and controls will look when running.
- Multi-monitor and multi-window improvements: you can design and edit code for the same form simultaneously in multiple windows, including ‘pulling’ the form designer from one window to another. This allows you to mimic the benefits of the old floating form designer in the modern IDE layout, including across multiple screens.
- Welcome Page: Completely rebuilt with the VCL (removing browser dependencies), the new page has a native look and feel and a UI that fits the IDE, plus is easy for you to customize in layout and content.
- C++ Code Formatter: Automate the layout of your C++ code using clang format.
- Numerous Code Insight (DelphiLSP) improvements based on developer community feedback and requests.
- Remote Desktop: Improved remote desktop support (for VCL and IDE).
- FireMonkey design-time guidelines: Prototype faster with visual lines for moving and aligning controls (similar to the VCL), with enhanced margin and padding support.
Many VCL components updated to new features in the Windows API:
- Rich Edit component updated: A new implementation removes XP dependencies and brings additional features into the TRichEdit control, including URL detection, spell-checking, background colour and transparency.
- TreeView CheckBoxes: Support for CheckBoxes in TreeViews added, with each node supporting three states (Partial, Dimmed, Exclusion) to help customise the UI
- New TLabelDBEdit component offering a data-aware version of the TLabelEdit for faster prototyping.
- Large collection of minor VCL improvements, including default form size and font, exception dialogue copy button, Toolbar improvements, margins on Memo and RichEdit, Optional Group box frames and many more.
KEY FIREMONKEY PLATFORM ENHANCEMENTS
- Improved FMX High-DPI support for Windows and Desktop applications with a visibly superior desktop UI, driven by an updated scaling engine that has been moved from physical to logical coordinates.
- Support for Microsoft’s WebView 2 control (Edge Chromium) in the web browser component.
- RAD Studio 11 supports the latest Android 30 API and latest Billing APIs and also migrates to use the AndroidX libraries.
- Android support for multiple classes.dex files, simplifying the integration of external Android dependencies.
TARGET PLATFORMS AND COMPILERS
- macOS 64bit ARM compiler and toolchain that includes building universal binaries for Intel/ARM AppStore submissions.
- Delphi language support for binary decimals and digits separator.
- C++ toolchain improvements include overhauled Delphi-style RTTI for C++ types (allowing using components built with Clang in the IDE), including using typeid on Delphi-style types; improved C++-style RTTI for Delphi types; CMake quality improvements, and greatly improved exception handling on both Win32 and Win64.
KEY RUN-TIME LIBRARY ENHANCEMENTS AND MORE
- RTL Quality focus: TZipFile, 64bit improvements for large data structures, Bluetooth LE
- Record Helper for TDateTime in System.DateUtils. Makes common date and time tasks faster to code and code cleaner to read. Examples include getting the first date of the Month or Year or converting to a Unix date format, checking AM/PM, finding out if it’s in a Leap Year, etc.
- Record Helper for TCurrency in System.SysUtils makes working with Currency simpler and easier.
- C++ RTL improvements focusing on Delphi interop include using make_shared<> and make_unique<> with Delphi classes; string_view support for Delphi strings; easy Delphi/C++ string conversion, including being able to directly assign a Delphi string to a C++ string and vice versa; and Delphi core data type (such as TDateTime, Variant, etc.) conversion to and from C++ strings using to_string() and from_string().
ENHANCED DELPHI CODE INSIGHT WITH LSP
- LSP awareness of Include (.inc) files used in a .pas file
- An auto restart of LSP server
- Auto code completion with Tab key
- Class helper support
- Array suggestions when assigning arrays
- Use of Visual Studio Code to edit Delphi source with full code completion, thanks to LSP support as part of your license.
- FireDAC in the new release, offers specific improvements for the PostgreSQL, Oracle, and Firebird databases.
- The HTTP and REST client libraries have been extended with timeout mechanisms, support for HTTP/2, TLS 1.3, Base64 URL Encoding.
- A new component, TRESTRequestDataSetAdapter, simplifies uploading datasets to RAD Server.
- A new low-traffic RAD Server Lite allows unlimited deployment of your multi-tier solutions alongside the fully scalable RAD Server engine.
- For DataSnap, the REST URL mapping logic is now fully configurable.
This release includes specific fixes for over 650 issues reported by customers on Quality Portal (QP), plus over 110 new features requested by customers on the same portal (Notice that QP synchronization is not immediate)
Product trials for RAD Studio, Delphi and C++Builder 11 are now available, and the updated product builds are live in the online store. Customers on Update Subscription can download and install RAD Studio 11 today using their existing license and will receive an email announcing the new release availability. Downloads are available for download in the new customers portal at my.embarcadero.com.
C++BUILDER 11 ALEXANDRIA
Minimum Hardware Requirements
- 1.8 GHz or faster processor
- 3 GB of RAM. 8GB of RAM is recommended.
- Between 6 GB and 60 GB of available disk space. Using an SSD is strongly recommended.
- DirectX 11 capable video card that runs at 1440×900 vertical resolution screen is recommended.
- Windows 10 Anniversary Edition is recommended and required for development for the Windows 10 store.
Operating System Requirements
- Windows 10
You can also install RAD Studio on a virtual machine running one of the supported versions of Windows in a non-Windows environment (e.g., macOS). To develop FireMonkey projects, your virtualization software must provide direct access to the host GPU.
Requirements for Supported Target Platforms
64-bit Windows – PCs and tablets with Intel/AMD processors running any of the following versions of Windows
- Windows 7 (SP1+)
- Windows 10
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows Server 2019
- A 64-bit 32-bit PC.
OS X – An Intel-based Mac with more than 2 GiB of RAM running any of the following versions of macOS:
- OS X 10.15 Catalina
- OS X 11 Big Sur
iOS – An iOS device running any of the following versions of iOS:
- iOS 14
All requirements for macOS support
- Xcode, version 10.12 or later.
- Membership in the Apple Developer Program.
Android – An Android device that runs an Arch64 processors or ARMv7 processor with NEON support.
- A 64-bit version of Windows for development.
- Android phones and tablets running any of the following versions of Android:
- Oreo (8.1)
- Pie (9)
- Android (10)
- Android (11)
The JRE is installed automatically if you choose to install support for the Android target platform.
For details about additional software, see Third Party Software Add-Ins.
See the Delphi full Feature Matrix for a more detailed comparison.
NEW – It is now possible to buy C++Builder Professional on annual basis. Contact Alfasoft for more info.
It is possible to buy support and maintenance with all Embarcadero products. Embarcadero support and help can be found at the following links:
- Embarcadero Support
- Embarcadero License, Download and Account Management Portal
- RAD Studio Installation Download links (PDF)
Alfsoft provides technical first-line support to all Embarcadero customers. Please describe your problem as detailed as possible when contacting our support. Remember to always inform about your product version and your operating system (both platform and version).