If you experience sync errors when trying to sync your EndNote library with your EndNote online account, please send us your EndNote Sync log files and we will examine these to find the cause of the error.
Usually a sync problem is caused by bad network/internet connection, Please check this/try again later. Another probable cause is corrupted/BIG PDF documents in your library. Please check the size of your attached PDFs.
How to check PDF file sizes:
1. Locate/open the PDF folder in library DATA folder. "MyEndNoteLibrary.DATA" > PDF folder.
2win. Use the search function in Windows Explorer, and search for: *.pdf
2mac. Use the search function in Mac Finder, and search for: kind:pdf
3. You now get all PDF listed and can sort them according to size (searches all subfolders).
Windows (EndNote X7.2 and later)
1. Download the Settings.xml file (right-click link and choose "Save link as..."), and place it in this location:
(Please google "how to see hidden files and folders in windows" if you can not see/find the AppData folder!)
C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\EndNote
2. Once installed, restart EndNote.
3. Reproduce the error.
4. Shutdown EndNote.
5. Gather the log files (TEST.log, SENT.log, RECV.log), and send them to us.
The log files can be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\EndNote\Logs\EndNote Web\
The log files may be large, so we suggest compressing the files with WinZip or another compression utility, before sending the files.
6. Remove the Settings.xml file from the above location. Otherwise, every sync you do will continue to log, and those log files get very large very fast.
Mac (EndNote X7.2 and later)
To enable logging, download the Settings.xml file (click link, then right-click webpage > Save page as... to download), and install into this location:
Note: To get to the Library folder in Mac OS 10.7 and later, hold down the "option" key on your keyboard and go to the "Go" Menu and choose "Library".
Once installed, restart EndNote and reproduce the error. Then, shutdown EndNote and gather the log files (TEST.log, SENT.log, RECV.log) from:
/Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/EndNote/Logs/EndNote Web/
Once the log files have been gathered, remember to remove the Settings.xml file from the location it was installed above. These files grow quite large quite fast and will continue growing as long as that xml file is installed.