MathType is a powerful interactive equation editor for Windows and Macintosh that lets you create mathematical notation for word processing, web pages, desktop publishing, presentations, and for TeX, LaTeX, and MathML documents. It works with 100s of applications and websites, allowing you to put Equations Everywhere and Anywhere.
While many users create equations for Microsoft Word documents and PowerPoint presentations, it also works with many, many other applications and websites:
Discover the leading formula editor and equation writer
MathType is the leading formula editor and equation writer used by K-12 and university STEM students and faculty worldwide. Discover why millions of them use it every day!
MathType is easy to use
Write equations with an interface that provides a user-friendly experience from day one; forget about having to learn LaTeX to write math on a computer.
It does not matter if you are a beginner or an advanced user, MathType is for everyone and adapts to your personal style of writing math so that you can focus on your projects.
Create and edit math notation on office apps and web-based platforms.
Whether you are working on Windows, Google Workspace, an LMS, or a web-based environment, MathType will meet your needs.
MathType is an online equation editor that provides perfect-quality math formulas.
No matter which environment you are using it in, your documents will always look professional and of high quality.
Share your documents and collaborate with your colleagues, partners and students.
MathType for Google Workspace and the Add-In for Microsoft 365 allow you to write and share math equations in your documents and presentations.
Working on a touch device?
No worries, it will convert your handwritten formula into a clean digital equation ready to be used in your documents.
MathType is the perfect partner for your online platforms, LMS and web editors.
Its seamless integration allows anyone to use it anywhere and on any device.
MathType complies with accessibility requirements to create software accessible to people with disabilities.
Readable content by third-party assistive technologies or content functionality operables through a keyboard are requirements that follows from WCAG (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines) 2.0 guidelines developed by W3C.
New features for MathType 7
Since Microsoft Equation Editor 3.0 is no longer distributed with Microsoft Office, get MathType 7 to continue editing and working with equations in Microsoft Office
MathType 7 Desktop is not compatible with MacOS Catalina
Here are some of the major new features in MathType 7. To learn more about them, visit our Full Feature List.
- MathType 6.9 now supports Microsoft Office 2016, 2013 and Office 365:
- Office 2013 and Office 365: Compatible with Office 2013 and Office 365 installed on Windows 7, 8 and 10.
- Office 2010, 2007, 2003, and XP: Fully compatible.
- Office Web Apps, Office Mobile, and Office RT: Equations cannot be edited in these Microsoft Office versions, but equations created in other versions of Microsoft Office will display and print.
- Office 32- and 64-bit: Compatible with both 32- and 64-bit versions of Microsoft Office.
- Compatibility with 700+ applications and websites: Connexions, Desire2Learn, Stack Exchange, and 73+ other applications and websites join Microsoft Office, Apple iWork, Adobe InDesign, and hundreds of others that work! Check out Works With… to see if your applications are compatible.
- MathPage now supports MathJax: Our MathPage™ technology now has the option to publish your Microsoft Word documents as web pages with MathML equations displayed using MathJax technology.
- Windows 8 compatibility: Works on Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista, and XP operating systems. It is not compatible with Windows RT.
MathType 6.9 equations are compatible with MT version 6.x and 5.x equations so you can continue to work with other users even if they haven’t upgraded yet. When you upgrade, any changes you’ve made in your installed version, including keyboard shortcuts, toolbars, preferences, etc. will be retained.
System requirements for MathType
MathType runs on both Mac and Windows.
Community Licenses, for 10 users and more please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Alfasoft provides free technical support to all our customers.
Please describe your problem as detailed as possible when contacting our support. Remember to always inform about your serial-/license number, product version and your operating system.
We also recommend these online support pages and resources: